Genoa Animal Hospital is currently recommending ALL dogs be vaccinated for Leptosporosis.
The reasons for the vaccination recommendation are:
- Northern Illinois is a current “HOTBED” for the bacteria.
- Wildlife easily spreads the disease including rats and mice. This means that urban environments are NOT safe.
- Contaminated urine is highly contagious.
- Healthy dogs can be shedders of the bacteria.
- This creates a huge public health risk. People can become seriously ill and even die from this disease.
Your dog will be given a series of 2 vaccinations given 2-3 weeks apart to provide initial immunity. Yearly revaccination is required to maintain immunity.
Protect your dog and your family today by vaccination against Leptospirosis.